Friday, March 16, 2012

Reflections of an Old Soul

I think I was born old, or at the very least, inhabited by someone's soul, older and wiser than I. Decisions in my life seem to have been guided by this entity and have led me on a very interesting journey. Over the years, I've had to do things I wasn't happy about, and on more than one occasion, I've said, "Why me?".


Getting to this place in my life has not come without a few moments of self-doubt. As a young woman, fresh out of college, I had a lot to learn. I still feel that way today as I tend to be fairly critical of myself. Overall though, I don't have any regrets.

Why? Because regrets are nothing more than bad feelings over lost opportunities. But wait! Are they really lost opportunities? At least that's what I originally thought. Then, I had a huge epiphany and began to wonder if they were indeed really lost opportunities, but merely chances for happiness presented to us in a different way.


Hmmm...

All the pent up frustrations and anxiety seemed to diminish to the point where I could finally focus. The tension in my shoulders began to melt away, the circles under my eyes started to diminish, and as funny as it sounds, my hair started to grow back...it came in gray...but it was coming back.

I began to look at things differently. I listened to my inner voice, believed in those gut feelings, and I followed my heart. All is well.

I am at peace. And the old soul living within me is smiling... 


Wishing you moments of quiet reflection,


 Susan's Blog Signature

This post is written for The Writer's Post Blog Hop# 39: Reflection. Interested in learning more, please check out the link below!



5 comments :

  1. I think opportunities are only truly lost if you are dead, otherwise there is always hope. Great post!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Susan, I have one of those old souls around, he lives in my son, a boy beyond his years, too tender for this world. He has a long journey in front of him, but like you I believe he will find peace and like you will be better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Susan--sometimes that inner voice that guides us is really on to something--it's navigational skills sometimes superb beyond our understanding. Trusting it may take sometime--but I've learned that when we do--we not only get where we are meant to be--that peace will dwell with us. Lovely, Lovely Post :) Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share the old soul feeling with you, Susan. I have always looked and felt older than my years. I am now finding that I am happier and more relaxed because to be honest, I like my life and I like me. I feel I am living the life I have been waiting for for many years.
    My old soul is content to putter in the flower bed, sit with a good book, write for hours on end. Make myself happy.
    I love that you are finding your bliss at long last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this, Susan. I like this line a lot:

    hen, I had a huge epiphany and began to wonder if they were indeed really lost opportunities, but merely chances for happiness presented to us in a different way.

    It does make you say, "Hmm..." I'll keep that in mind and perhaps, right it down for later.

    ReplyDelete