Monday, August 19, 2013

TWW's Book Review: Brownies and Broomsticks: A Magical Bakery Mystery by Bailey Cates



If you're looking for something light and easy to read then you've found the right book with Brownies and Broomsticks: A Magical Bakery Mystery by Bailey Cates. I wasn't much for stretching outside of my comfort zone, but I found that these fun paranormal stories are just the ticket. Mix in a little mystery and I will keep turning the page.

Katie moves South to help her aunt and uncle with their bakery. Fresh from a broken engagement, this is her chance to start over. As a baker, this is the perfect opportunity for her. While her parents, well, let's rephrase that...while her mom isn't to keen on having her move there, Aunt Lucy and Uncle Ben are thrilled to have her at The Honeybee Bakery.

Gearing up for a the grand opening, they host the Downtown Business Association meeting lead by a most unpleasant woman. Thus starts the beginning of the mystery that Katie needs to solve. Without divulging any secrets, let's just say there are a host of characters that are going to make this really fun including:
  • two guys vying for her attention;
  • a cat who has a bakery named after it; 
  • a witch coven thinly disguised as a book club; and
  • a dog who doesn't like pet food and would rather eat from the table.
I do agree with other reviewers regarding the overuse of the words "Katie-Girl." By the end of the book, I was ready to kick the guy to the curb, regardless of how good looking he is. Perhaps if the author would have downplayed that a little, he would have come off a little less annoying. Nevertheless, it did not deter me from finishing the book and solving the mystery. While the antagonism between the two male suiters may seem a bit much, without it the story would probably have fallen a little flat in that department. 

I am intrigued by the fact that this is going to be a series of books with the same characters. I haven't had much luck with those but look forward to reading more. The ladies of the witch coven, along with Aunt Lucy are quite unique and with their own talents make for a more interesting read.
Of course the baked goods is what really had me interested and of course, sharing the recipes at the end of the book. I love that! Nice touch by Bailey Cates and I hope that she continues to do that for each of her future books. Rating:



Wishing you moments of great reading!


Like anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at todaysworkingwoman@hotmail.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!

No comments :

Post a Comment