Monday, May 20, 2013

GBE2: Mentoring Me

Mentoring...a buzz word for the workplace. While it has been around for a very long time, it came into popularity in the '90s. The yuppies kind of took it over and frankly, it used to actually mean something.

As for me, I don't remember it too much when I was coming up through the ranks. I had to fight and crawl to get where I wanted...and mostly did it on my own. I made a lot of mistakes.

As a young administrative professional, my first mistake was telling my boss "no" in a one-on-one conversation. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with me and I had to explain myself. Unfortunately, I ended up having to do what he wanted me to do anyway. So standing up for myself was pointless. The first two years in my "career" were definitely a learning experience. It's where I learned to suck it up, and watch how my superiors did their jobs. This was beginning of my own "self" mentoring. Although I met some really great people who have become friends and family to me, I realized then that no one was going to take me under their wing to help me advance my career (we were all trying to advance our careers so who had the time!), so I had to create my own wing. 

Over the years, I worked a variety of admin jobs, taking with me what I learned from the previous positions and forging ahead to workplace situations unknown. I had to overcome many challenges including my slight dyslexic tendencies, my pathological need to have everyone like me, and the never-ending ability of everyone else being able to walk all over me. But have no fear, while all these things were going on, I was still mentoring me. With each job, I was gaining valuable intel on how to act, work and become successful. 

Then I had a great epiphany. I realized that all the promises made to me over the years were empty, and that the only way I was going to be successful was to make it happen for myself. The years of "self" mentoring were finally going to pay off. I made decisions that would ultimately bring me true happiness and success. It was a scary time and frankly, I didn't think I was going to make it, but I forged ahead anyway.

Today, I am pretty happy with where I am at. I have a great day job, terrific boss and I am writing! Best of all, I am continuing to mentor me every chance I get. I highly recommend it!

Wishing you moments to mentor yourself!

 Susan's Blog Signature

Liked anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at todaysworkingwoman@hotmail.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!

1 comment :

  1. "and I am writing!" well THAT SAID IT ALL FOR ME! AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete