Saturday, May 4, 2013

TWW's Book Review: A Charming Crime (Magical Cures Mystery Series) by Tonya Kappes



My original intention for this series was to do one big review, but the further I got into the series, it was clear that I was not going to be able to do this as Ms. Kappes defined each of these books with its own distinct storyline. 

In A Charming Crime, June Heal, thanks to her mother's journal, develops and sells homeopathic cures at the local flea market. The business, known as A Dose of Darla, is a tradition that she learned from her mother. What she doesn't learn from her mom is a love of Ding Dongs. (Ummm...didn't Hostess just go out of business? This does not bode well for June!)

Now that her mom is gone, she's left with a house, a cat known as Mr. Prince Charming, a qrumpy neighbor named Mac McGurtle, and her best friend, Oscar Park, the local police officer. Little did she know, her life if about to change...and in a really big way.

When a mysterious woman drops by her house after a fire burns down her shed, she gets an offer that she can't refuse and heads towards Whispering Falls to check it out. Upon her arrival she meets a cast of characters that will eventually become her new family. Oscar joins her on this little adventure and becomes the new policeman for the charming little town.

June is not quite sure what to make of this whole thing and before she knows it, everything just seems to magically come together for her to move to this quirky tourist town. All seems to be going pretty well until she finds herself smack dab in the middle of a crime...where she's the primary suspect.

With this in mind, I'll leave the rest of the story for my readers to discover. For someone like myself who has a difficult time going outside her normal reading genres, A Charming Crime by Tonya Kappes is a fun read to get into. The story was not too overwhelmingly complicated and the characters were just quirky enough to keep me interested. 

A few things to note: The overuse of the "Ding Dongs" theme (it does get a little old), June's unstoppable nature which makes her a very strong character in my eyes, and of course, the formatting and editing issues (which, by the way, I have yet to see any Kindle book escape from this problem). Overall, this story makes for a great weekend escape, especially if you have the opportunity to read the other books in the series. Rating: 


Wishing you moments of great reading!

 Susan's Blog Signature

Liked anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at todaysworkingwoman@hotmail.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for reading the series. Thanks even more for your honest reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to tell you that I have four teenage boys and I had NOOO idea what your reference to Kenny was. . . .my guys got a kick out of your review of A Charming Wish and my reference to who killed Kenny. Unfortunately, they had to show me the YouTube video. Kenny, in my novel, was named from a contest I had on my street team where a reader got to name the victim. BUT I love that each reader puts a spin on how I come up with names and plots. Nothing to do with pop culture.

    ReplyDelete