Friday, September 16, 2011

Riding the Open Road - Just Me and My Bike


Photo by Doug M. “Dublin Century bike ride 03.20.11” 
It's early morning and I'm ready. Just me, my bike and the road. (Actually... it's me, my bike, the road and about 100 others just like me; but in my head, it's just me, my bike and the road!)

What a long week to get here...I hope I have the energy to make it through. I won't think about it. I just want to ride.

Riding the open road...just me and my bike. Freedom. No work...no phones...completely unplugged. Serenity.

Whooooosh...and I'm off. Letting all other thoughts go for the moment, I concentrate on finding my rhythm. It won't take long.

Whoooosh...whooosh...whoosh and...ahhhhh...finally.

There is just something about being out here...just me and my bike, on the perfect date with the road.

I didn't have to stand in front of the mirror and wonder what the road is going to think about my outfit. Nor do I have to make small talk or look for common interests just so my bike and I can "make a connection" with the road.

The road doesn't care what I look like or if I put on makeup this morning. It doesn't care how old I am. Best of all, I don't feel uncomfortable when my bike and I are with the road because when I am here, riding my bike, the road lets me show it who I really am.

My bike and I can always call on the road whenever we need it; whether it has been a couple of hours or a couple of weeks. It's always there for us...always there for me providing the fuel I need to make it through to the next time I need to go out on a date with the road again. Don't worry...I'll bring my bike along...I always do!

My bike and the road...they've done more for me than you possibly know. Taken me past places that I can't normally get to when I drive my car. Seeing the beautiful countryside allows me to clear my head of all the negative energy that builds up during the week. I breathe in and out with every push I make on the pedals. Most people would say this is work, but to me, this is relaxing and peaceful.

As for the road...the only thing that it cares about is that I am here with it...right now...at this very moment...with my bike. I let the road take me away from all my worries. The road is happy because it's done it's job.

I'm happy too.

I continue to ride...it's just me, my bike, the road (and the hundred others!). I wonder if my bike and I should make another date with the road...the upcoming week is going to be really hectic. Yeah...I'm thinking we're going to need to see each other again.

Next weekend, maybe.

This time though, it's just going to be the three of us. I have this feeling we're going to have a lot to discuss.

Susan's Blog Signature

This post is written for The Writer's Post Blog Hop# 14: Inspiration from the bike picture above plus the word, Serenity. Interested in learning more, please check out the link below!



4 comments :

  1. Excellent write Susan--I was there--on my bike--with you :) Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I enjoy the same freedom when I ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and great take on the theme!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete