Monday, April 9, 2012

Health

With everything that has been going on in my life for the last several years, I have to admit that I really let myself go. And, it's embarrassing.

I used to be in great shape. I was a dancer in high school and college. I lifted weights. I was buff. Then life took over and I lost sight of myself and what was really important. While I have had a litany of stupid "why does this have to happen to me" health issues, my problems are not that insurmountable. I just need to be diligent in the way I handle things.

But I am back now!

Over the last several months, I have been doing some testing on food intake, water intake and other liquid intake. I can definitely feel a difference in my body when I eat certain things and when I drink certain things.

The biggest difference I have experienced is the difference way my body feels when I drink soda and when I don't drink soda. As much as I love all types of soda, the bottom line is that it doesn't love me anymore. When I drink it, my body feels lethargic and in all honesty, is in pain. When I say pain, I am talking about joint pain in my hands, feet & ankles, knees etc. I have made a concerted effort to drink more water and I am feeling better...slowly with the help of some joint medication that I have to start taking again. I stopped taking the medication because I got lazy and look where it got me...nowhere. I've learned a valuable lesson here. No more soda and lots more water.

As far as food intake, I have to admit that I tend to be the "Carb Queen" in my house. With that being said, I believe that has been a real problem for me. I have to limit my carbohydrate intake and increase my protein my leaps and bounds. I'm working on it. It's very hard to switch the mindset, especially with the "Chocolate Princess" is whispering in Queen's ear!

So why the big change? Well, I am tired of several issues that have been plaguing me for the last year. And now I am ready to tackle them head on. That and the fact I am going to see my doctor in a couple of months. I promised her that I would make some real changes and now I need to do that.

So, I'll keep you posted on my journey to a healthier me. Hopefully it won't be too painful!

Wishing you moments of great health!

 Susan's Blog Signature
I am participating in the Blogging from A-Z Challenge for April 2012. Today's post is for the letter H.

Click on the badge below for more info:







Liked anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at todaysworkingwoman@hotmail.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!

8 comments :

  1. Good for you, taking the steps to love your body. You're worth it - we all are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go on your new challenges! I agree with you about the soda. I love it but the prices I pay after, between weight gain and sleep problems, it is really not worth it . I am also trying to drink more water. Thanks for reminding me...i needed the push lately! Great Blog ...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, "diet" can change many aspects of your health. Good for you! I know it's hard to create new habits, but it can be done...(I like diet-pepsi, I know I shouldn't, but I do). I am a very healthy eater and I exercise every other day. It sure makes a difference. I need to really increase my water intake, so you're one up on me on that note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan-- I am here to cheer you on!! You know I've made a lot of changes myself. The biggest change I made in 2009 was to switch from soda to tea. It helped because while I was having the withdrawals from the carbination-- I didn't have the withdrawals from the caffeine. I've slowly been able to switch to tea without caffeine.

    I wish you much success in your journey!! Keep me posted-- I hope your doc is happy with the changes you've made!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without health you have nothing, I do agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post, I am addicted to Diet Mountain Dew and the effects on my body are catastrophic, yeast infections, joint problems, the stuff is poison, I've been off it for a week and your post validates my reactions to this poison completely. Water. Yes!
    I'm here from the A-Z challenge but will be back.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete