So what does "un" mean? Well Dictionary.com has defined "un" as "a prefix meaning “not,” freely used as an English formative, giving negative or opposite force in adjectives and their derivative adverbs and nouns ( unfair; unfairly; unfairness; unfelt; unseen; unfitting; unformed; unheard-of; un-get-at-able ), and less freely used in certain other nouns ( unrest; unemployment )."
But it means, "yeah" in Japanese and if you capitalize it, the it stands for United Nations. In Spanish it means "a".
So let's take a look at some powerful uses of "un":
- unacceptable - I use this word all the time. In fact, my mom even commented on this not long ago. She actually used it when she was trying to get something fixed. When she told me about it, we actually had a fun moment between us. This is really rare and I can't tell you how good it made me feel.
- unacknowledged - I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. Nothing ticks me off more then when I go unacknowledged...for anything. Maybe this is why I don't socialize very much. Who wants to stand around and be unacknowledged for being present. I don't know about you, but I am tired of holding up the wall and being forgotten.
- unaffordable - I hear this word all the time, especially when it comes to the housing market. In fact, I've used it often because I can't afford to buy a house. At this point, I'm not sure I want to own one. I have more freedom; do what I want anytime I want. I can up and leave at the drop of a hat and not have to worry about selling a house in a market where there are too many houses available and the values are low. I guess this is one thing for which I can be grateful.
- uncanny - Strange, weird, ghostly...yes. Happens ALL the time.
- unemployed - For those of you who are currently out of work, let me just say that I understand and feel your frustrations. But know this, sometimes we have to accept something less than what you want in order to get what you need.
- unflappable - Marked by assurance and self-control...I wish. Something that I aspire to...someday.
- unheard - No...I want to be heard, but sometimes it's difficult because I grew up with the motto "be seen and not heard". This affected me deeply...maybe it's why I tend to "hold up the wall" so much.
- unloveable - How many times did I feel like this growing up? More than I can count actually. This is a topic for another day.
Yes, I can be unmistakable...
Wishing you "unmistakable" moments!
I am participating in the Blogging from A-Z Challenge for April 2012. Today's post is for the letter U.
Click on the badge below for more info:
Liked anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at email@example.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!