Saturday, July 13, 2013

What Brings Me Joy

In times of stress, I need to remind myself of the things that bring me the greatest joy and work to get those things back into my life. So let me make a list:

1. God - yes, he should always be at the top of the list. While my faith has never been something that I talked about...I do have one. One I don't have is the ritualistic way in which I practice my faith. Today, I choose to be an upstanding Christian and try to do right by those around me.

2. Reading - I love to read. While it hasn't always been the forefront of my life, I feel much better when I can pick up a book and hold it in my hand. Now I use a Kindle to read most of the books I am interested in because I ran out of room to shelve them.

3. Watching Movies - I love girl movies and most especially holiday movies - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween (not the gross ones, more family style). I should probably add all the Harry Potter flicks too. I have a secret though...I like it when a movie blows up stuff. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone...it will ruin my image!

4. Writing - I have developed a passion for writing in the last 4 years. While I have been writing for years, it has only recently come to the forefront of my life in terms of putting it out there for the world to see. I feel really lucky to have the opportunity to share it with the world.

5. Gardening - I've always loved flowers, but now I've added herbs, vegetables and other things that bring me visual pleasure. My garden is always a work in progress.

6. Baking -  I love to bake...cookies, cakes, and anything else I can make. With a new element in my stove, the baking season may come sooner rather than later. I need to practice to get the timing down right. Can't wait to get started!

7. Crafts - I used to love doing all types of crafts. I still do, but am more selective these days and mostly I just crochet. Although I would love to do some counted cross again. Just don't know if I can make the time.

8. Quilting - I loved doing this, but haven't had time for it in years. I really need to get back to my sewing machine...it's feeling neglected!

9. Music - Music is my life. I don't feel quite right unless I have it nearby. Technology has made it easier to have it around all the time. Now instead of a big boombox, I have an MP3 player with an infinite possibilities in terms of songs, artists and genres. Having youtube.com also helps in order to search for a variety of music that I wouldn't always have been interested in.

10. Travel - I love to travel and take vacations. I can't wait until we can go on our next trip...but for now those plans are on home because I need to go home and spend time with my parents. With their failing health, it's time to put aside the bad feelings and be with them for just a little while.

What are some of the things that bring you joy? I'd love to hear about them.

Wishing you moments to find your joy!
 

Like anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at todaysworkingwoman@hotmail.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!

3 comments :

  1. I truly enjoyed reading this, Susan. Your writing is a gift to the world. I like the realness of your posts. Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Stopping by from the UBC and Facebook! Wow, I could duplicate your list in almost every point, #1, 2, 4, and 6-9 especially!

    RE: Music- you might like Pandora. You can get streaming music with artists and genres you like; there's a desktop app and icon, too, so you can just click on it to start listening to music. :)

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your writing is certainly a treat to me :) :) .. and hopefully someday I will experience your baking too :D ..

    ReplyDelete